Seagrass Technologies Pty Ltd have developed a device that can be effectively used in the reconstruction and protection of dunes.
It is primarily constructed of bamboo and is 100% biodegradable. It is inserted into the sand and the bamboo branches catch the sand being blown through them and drops that sand within the area of the device. The branches also reduce the wind velocity in the area helping maintain the sand that has been accumulated.
The device is an excellent substitute for dune-forming fencing and introduced brushes and mulches.
Disadvantages of dune-forming fences:
- Introducing plastic into the environment.
- Re-exposure issues with hazards and debris.
- Potentially dangerous materials ie metal staples.
- Susceptibility to vandalism.
- Creates uneven dune formation and subsequent fencing to fill voids is required.
- Planting cannot be carried out simultaneously.
- Expensive and involves the installation of many components.
Disadvantages of introduced brushes and mulches:
- Approvals required to obtain.
- Can be easily blown away.
- Can introduce unwanted seeds to the area.
- Not effective for rapid sand accumulation.
Advantages of our device:
- Rapidly deployed. 2 people can install over 1000 square meters per day.
- Easy Installed. Simply shovelled into the sand.
- 100% biodegradable. Set & forget. No plastic introduced into the environment.
- Even dune formation. Planted 1m apart from each other will create even sand build up over a large area.
- Cost effective. $9 per device. $9,000 per 1000 square meters. No future costs for removal.
- Easily layered. Taller dunes can be established by inserting subsequent layers of the device.
- Simultaneous planting. Due to the even dune formation, planting of grasses, shrubs or trees can be achieved very effectively within the protected environment amongst the bamboo branches.
A division of Seagrass Technologies Pty Ltd
Copyright © 2023 mangroves.au - All Rights Reserved.